Saturday, January 16, 2010

Pig Tales

I'm in the middle of reading Pig Tales by Marie Darrieussecq. The book is making me increasingly uncomfortable: it is the story of a woman who is turning into a pig. The conflation of woman's sexuality with meat and with animals, well it's pretty prevalent. Just watch commercials for a little while and I'm sure you'll see what I mean. The protagonist works at a perfume shop, where she gives massages and has sex with the clients (as per the directions of her boss). At one point, she gains control of her sexuality, but then loses that confidence and control again.

I'm having trouble continuing. I don't like the sex negative aspects of the book, and every time I think I understand the point the author is trying to make, there is more of the sexual objectification that I work so freakin hard to avoid in literature, television and movies. I'm not sure what to make of this feminist book which seems incredibly sex-negative, and seems to be more about disembodiment than pro-female bodies. I could be missing something. I could be misreading. But I don't like the way I feel reading this book, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment