Thursday, June 9, 2011

Of Wyrms and Women pt. 9

[part 1] [part 2] [part 3][part 4][part 5][part 6][part 7][part 8]

“Where was she from?” Tia asks. I finally let her read what I’ve written thus far. It’s not much, just a few character sketches, really, a couple of disconnected short scenes. I need to do more research before I can progress.

“England, I think.”

“So she would have sailed to where, Denmark? Weren’t women on ships bad luck?”

Wealhtheow must have traveled across the North Sea. Why hadn’t I thought of that? “No, that was later on. I don’t think it was a big deal for women to be transported because they would have to go live with their husbands.”

“So your lady is more adventurous than you.”

I had been telling Tia about my desire to go somewhere new. She’s been encouraging me; Tia thinks travel is fantastically easy.

“I don’t think she was that adventurous. She didn’t have a say in it.”

“But it must have been exciting. Would she have been allowed to travel otherwise?” Tia didn’t understand; being wrenched away from everything and everyone familiar would be terrifying. Devastating. “No, you would be devastated. Your lady would have been preparing for it her whole life.”

“Okay, let’s do it.” I inhale.

“What?” Tia squints.


“You said we should go on a trip together. Let’s do it.”

Tia grins. She’s been suggesting it for weeks, ever since I confessed that I’ve never been anywhere. Tia told me that she found that unacceptable, so she offered to drive. Tia knows about this stuff; she says staying in a university dorm would be cheaper than a motel. Apparently Montreal has a bunch of different schools, and during the summer it’s easy to get a room in one of them. So Tia’s been waiting for me to give the word. Until now, I didn’t believe she could convince me to go. I voiced concerns about her business, but she has an employee I didn’t know about. He works early mornings, so he’s gone by the time I come by in the afternoons. Sometimes Tia has him work weekends, so she can take time off. Now Tia can finally initiate her plan, knowing that I’m on board.

“Okay, I’ll see when Phil can cover for me. Then I’ll make arrangements and we’ll go.”

My stomach queases. We’re really going. Montreal. I’m so thrilled I go home and puke.

No comments:

Post a Comment