Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Of Wyrms and Women pt 28

Note: this is a section that on one hand feels very appropriative to me, and on the other is essential to an understanding of the character. While the hair-touching is something I experienced myself as a child, I understand it happens to grown Women of Colour quite often. So this short little piece is grappling with race, bodily autonomy, infantilization, lived experience and disbelief, privilege and ignorance. 

[part 1] [part 2] [part 3][part 4][part 5][part 6][part 7][part 8][part 9][part 10][part 11][part 12][part 13][part 14][part 15][part 16][part 17][part 18][part 19][part 20][part 21][part 22][part 23][part 24][part 25][part 26][part 27]

“Sam?”
   
“Yeah?”

“What’s it like?”
   
“What?”
   
“Being black.”
   
I don’t know.”
   
“What?”
   
“I don’t know.”
   
“How could you not know?”
   
“I don’t want to talk about it.”
   
“But I want to understand you. Your life.”
   
“Jeez, Tia.”
   
“What?”
   
“I don’t know what to tell you.”
   
“I’m trying to be a better person.”
   
“Go find Obi-Wan.”
   
“You’re such a nerd.”
   
“Have another drink.”
   
“Okay. But Sam?”
   
“Yeah?”
   
“I really do want to know.”
   
“About skin, or about me?”

No comments:

Post a Comment